Burn baby burn

As I have mentioned before, the husband convinced me to "downsize" and rent this tiny little house so we could save lots of money. Well this house has ended up being a money pit. The slum lord that owns it still has not finished putting in the floor in the back section of the house (it's only been 10 weeks) and the air conditioner does not cool the house on most days.

To make matters worse our electric bill has been around $400 each month. To me $400 in utilities seems a little excessive for a house that is about 900 sq. feet and hot.

So after I threatened to leave the husband and the little house and move into my own place he called the landlord for a "heated discussion" about his wife's unhappiness.

Good news is that I am getting a new air conditioner next week. The floor? Well I am starting to get used to the look of raw plywood.

It's been around 100 degrees the past few days. Everyone around here thinks they are dying. But 100 degrees with little humidity is much better than the high humidity days back in the 'ville. They do know hot until they have survived 98 or above in the sticky Ohio Valley.

The husband and I took Evan to the "city" yesterday. When he caught a glimpse of the tall buildings he said "Hello City." You would think we lived 200 miles from nowhere the way Evan acts.

We drove 30 minutes to the city to go to the farmer's market. All the farmers from our town sell at the city farmer's market because they make more money there. So to buy local farm produce I have to drive to the city. Go figure.

Evan decided that he wanted a "phoenix fly trap" from one of the vendors. He has been asking for a "phoenix fly trap" since he watched an Animal Planet show about flies and how they land on your food and do nasty things to it. Now when he sees a fly he freaks.

Anyway, after gently trying to tell him it was a Venus Fly Trap, I gave up and he announced that he was naming his new plant "phoenix" and it was going to protect us from all the insects in the world.

On the way home from the "city" we stopped at our local deli to pick up a couple of slices of cheesecake for dessert.

As we drove around the Town Square I noticed smoke coming from a parking lot behind the courthouse. I told Mark to pull over and we noticed smoke coming from one of the Sheriff's cars.

Realizing that no one else was around I called 911. (I know Twinkie, if only your co-workers had realized they could do this from the parking lot.)

I couldn't tell them what street I was on but I explained that I was behind the court house. So they tracked my location by locking my cell phone and tracking it through GPS. It only took a few minutes for the truck to get there because the station is two blocks away.

The car was a loss though. Cars burn up very fast and they are very scary when the windshields and tires blow from the heat. I had to stay for the entire thing because no one could figure out how to get my cell phone unlocked from the 911 emergency lock.

Finally someone figured it out and we drove the six blocks to our house and enjoyed our cheesecake. This town is too exciting for me; I need to move back to the city.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you really buy him a Venus Fly Trap, or did you just buy him a regular plant? I have the original Little Shop of Horrors on DVD, we should let Evan watch it.
<3

Blog Archive