Another week in Mayberry

Fourth of July in Mayberry was everything you'd expect in a small southern town -- there were cookouts and festivals everywhere you looked. We figured the beach would be packed so Mark and I decided to just hang out around the house.

The night before, we went to Target and bought one of those Intex Easy Set pools for Evan. It was on sale for $36 so I did not expect much. Well if you ever want a pool these things are wonderful. Just spread out the pool in a level area (yes it has to be very level to work right, inflate the top ring and fill with water. The pool walls really do rise with the water.

We bought the small 8 foot diameter one, but it was much deeper than I imagined. Evan and I spent about 5 hours in it that first day. Okay I know sitting in kiddie pool on July Fourth is not the most exciting thing to do, but we were happy.

Evan had so much fun in the pool. He has always been afraid of water but he suddenly decided to hold his nose and go under. Next thing I knew he let go of his nose and was swimming like a fish. Now he loves being under water and holds his breath like a champ.

Late in the afternoon Mark fired up the grill and threw on a few burgers. I plugged in the blender and whipped up some pool-side pina coladas.

Evan surprised us again when he announced that he would like a burger. While this may not seem monumental, it was for us. This kid has existed on hotdogs, donuts and chicken nuggets for the past three years. And his willingness to try new food was non-existent.

He not only ate that burger but asked for a second. These were adult-size burgers so he only made it a couple of bites into burger number two.

Around 8:30 I woke Mark and Evan from their after-dinner nap and we went to the down to the Town Commons to listen to a beach music band and watch the fireworks show. Beach music bands play a lot of Motown classics and songs like "Under the boardwalk."

There were several carnival style rides and Evan once again surprised us by going down a huge inflatable slide. Since he is very scared of heights we could not believe he climbed up the tall structure and slid down. He loved it so much he did it three times. It was definitely a day of taking risks for Evan.

The show (while not even in the same universe as Thunder Over Louisville) was more than I expected and they even coordinated the firework to music. I did tear up a little during the show. I thought about my family back in the 'ville and wondered what they were doing for the fourth.

Overall it was a good day, but I don't know if the "I wish I was back home" feelings will ever go away.

1 comments:

Twinkie said...

It sounds like you guys had a wonderful family day! I'm so happy for you. We all still miss you back home, but you're doing great. Represent, girl.

Blog Archive